Tuesday, September 20, 2011

First month in SK!

So tonight, at almost the exact time that Thomene and Pat's wedding was happening back home, I will celebrate my first month in SK.  Wow, time has really flown.  It hasn't all been easy, but it has all been interesting, and that's something at least.  :)  I live in a little hamlet called Chilgok, which is NOT the bigger, more foreigner-populated Chilgok on the outskirts of Daegu, but the little farming village of Chilgok on the outskirts of Gumi.  I am the foreign contingent, as far as I can tell.  :)  There is a Chinese-American girl called Gloria who has been here for 6 months longer than I have, but I have only seen her on two occasions for dinner and drinks.  Lovely girl, but as she blends in quite easily, we don't exactly have the same kind of experience in this town.  For the first week I was like a celebrity around here.  Especially at school, where the children would gather in front of my office window and stare and wave and giggle.  Very zoo-like, it was.  The upside was being told 20 times a day how beautiful I am - very good for the ego!  My favourite was the girl who kept saying "Teacher, teacher, your eyes are so bling-bling!"  Think that'll be my catch-phrase from now on.

All is well in SK so far.  I miss home sometimes, but at the moment it is still all so new and interesting that I'm doing OK.  I go to school around 08:00, get home around 17:15, watch some crime-solving forensic American shows, make supper and contact friends and family online.  Pretty chilled life.

Right now have to go and teach Grade 1's.

Later!

<3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment